Friday, May 11, 2018

Coeliac UK Awareness Week

Coeliac UK’s Awareness Week starts on Monday 14th May.


Coeliac Disease is a lifelong autoimmune condition, where the immune system mistakenly attacks healthy tissue. In Coeliac Disease, the immune system mistakes substances found inside gluten as a threat to the body and attacks them. This can trigger a number of painful, stressful and uncomfortable symptoms.

Next month is my tenth year gluten free. Any suggestions for how I can celebrate my Coeliacversary?

My life as a Coeliac in LEGO form
My life as a Coeliac in LEGO form

Having suffered from a range of symptoms for around ten years I finally received a positive diagnosis of Coeliac Disease following some 'interesting' tests and procedures in 2008. It came as a relief to finally have a name for the mysterious cause of my illnesses and ailments, but at the time I was only given a brief summary and told that I'd have to "cut down on bread and beer". It was only later when I met with my Gastroenterologist and a dietitian that I found out that the only treatment for people with Coeliac Disease is a strict, life-long gluten free diet.

Coeliac Richard Gottfried
There's no sign of gluten in me

For more information about Coeliac Disease and Coeliac UK's Awareness Week visit the Coeliac UK website.

May is Celiac Awareness Month in the USA.

No comments: