Thursday, April 13, 2017

Class 121 'Bubble Cars' at Aylesbury

Yesterday I noticed a post about an old type of train in the Dull Men's Club Facebook Group.

My fellow Dull Men's Club member had spotted a Class 121 'Bubble Car' at Princes Risborough railway station and it reminded me that I'd seen them before at Aylesbury station.

What a mixture of trains at Aylesbury Maintenance Depot back in July 2011
What a mixture of trains at Aylesbury Maintenance Depot back in July 2011

What I hadn't realised at the time was they are the longest serving DMUs in the UK, having started life in 1960. I thought they were en route to a heritage day or line, not that Chiltern Railways were still regularly using them in service!

Unfortunately the end of the line is nearing for the Class 121 'Bubble Cars' as spare parts are becoming more difficult to source and the engines are getting ever more frail.

No comments: