Friday, November 18, 2016

100% gluten free places in the UK

There are 100% gluten free places to eat in the UK.


As someone living with Coeliac Disease I am extremely careful about what I eat and drink. Since I was diagnosed in 2008 I haven't knowlingly consumed anything containing gluten. However, I have been 'glutened' while dining out and the effects can be horrific and long lasting. So, I'm always looking for safe and suitable 100% gluten free places to eat at while travelling around the UK.

Before diagnosis I was a very adventurous diner and willing to try all manner of food and drink. Emily and I would enjoy visiting lots of different restaurants and takeaways. Nowadays Emily either dines while I watch, or has to wait to visit a place with friends or family to give it a try.

Gluten free meal at 2 Oxford Place in Leeds
An incredibly rare sighting of us both dining out at the same time

At one of our last meals out together - way back in May - I was glutened. Since then dining out together has been very limited. While dining at home is safe and we do cook up some magnificent food (and great cocktails), we do miss having the whole meal experience. I am now looking to eat at places that are 100% gluten free and safe for Coeliacs. If it's not, I'll vote with my wallet and go elsewhere (or go hungry).

With my approach to tackling the problem of dining out safely I was incredibly pleased when fellow Coeliac and writer Caroline at the Coeliac Plate website let me know about a series of lists she has put together detailing the 100% gluten free places in the UK! It's absolutely marvellous to see.

One of my favourite places to eat is at 2 Oxford Place in Leeds. The fact that the restaurant is 100% gluten free and safe for Coeliacs is a real weight off the mind. To be able to visit a restaurant and not be on edge from the start is great. On the occasions I've dined there it's been brilliant. Just little things like NOT having to explain to the waiting staff that I have a medical condition before ordering, or asking to see a 'special' menu, makes a BIG difference.

When dining in a 'normal' restaurant that is trying to offer gluten free options cross contamination is possible. If eating there I can spend the whole time worrying about what could've happened to the meal I'm about to eat/am eating/have eaten. It doesn't make for a very pleasant or 'normal' experience and can often feel like the money has been wasted.

So do check out the Coeliac Plate website for more information and the links below for the 100% gluten free lists.

- UK 100% gluten free venues
- UK 100% gluten free – Northern England

Caroline tweeted me about her lists after I'd posted a tweet to fellow gluten free blogger Katie Bucknell asking about gluten free places in Manchester. Katie provided some good tips. Check out her website too.

Related blog posts:
- Gluten free
- Coeliac

Links:
- The Coeliac Plate website
- Katie Bucknell's website

2 comments:

Richard Gottfried said...

We had two brilliant meals at 2 Oxford Place in Leeds over the weekend. I'd say it's a MUST VISIT for anyone with Coeliac Disease as there is so much choice and such peace of mind when ordering and eating there as you know all of the ingredients, preparation and cooking is 100% gluten free.

Before this year Emily and I had never been to Leeds together, but we've now visited three times, with dining at 2 Oxford Place the predominant reason for heading there.

We can't wait to return to see what's new on the menu.

Richard Gottfried said...

We recently dined at 2 Oxford Place in Leeds for the first time since the restaurant changed hands. I'm very pleased to report that it is still offering excellent and 100% gluten free food.