Thursday, October 21, 2010

Gluten Free Finds in London (and beyond) - October 2010

On our recent trip to London we found a few new Gluten Free places to eat at/buy GF products from, these included:

Starbucks - Now do Gluten and Wheat Free sandwiches, salads and cakes :-) The service from the very knowledgeable staff at the O2 was very pleasing. When ordering the cakes ask for them to be wrapped if you have Special Dietary Requirements, as they will bring you a sealed one that is not cross-contaminated. I had a Cheese and Coleslaw Sandwich and a Chocolate Brownie. Very tasty indeed. The Sangers are made with Genius Bread.

Las Iguanas - We've previously eaten at the London Eye and Manchester Trafford Centre branches and had no problems (Las Igauanas does some great food), but we had very poor service and a nightmare experience at the restaurant at the O2. Despite me stating I was a Coeliac and what I must avoid, my starter (Gambas) was served with bread and my main (Ensopado De Carne - the first time I've eaten Goat!) was served with flour-coated deep fried Plantain!?

Marks & Spencer - M&S now have a good range of Gluten and Wheat Free products, including Bread and Cakes. I picked up a Lemon Sponge Cake and some of the Brownies and Pecan and Chocolate Cakes. Looking at their website there is also a range of GF products to order online.

The Chicago Rib Shack - They have Gluten Free options (spelled 'Gluton') on the menu. Our server was very knowledgeable about Special Dietary requirements. I had a huge T-Bone Steak, along with some enoyable Cocktails, including a Mohito and an Old Fashioned (if anyone knows the recipe do let me know?).

Whole Foods Market - Had a selection of Gluten Free products. They were not that easy to find as they don't have a dedicated GF Section, instead products are mixed in with 'normal' food. I did however pick up some bottles of a different 'Coeliac-friendly' Beer - from St Peter's Brewery - which was nice :-)

No comments: